A Little Bit of History!
By Larry Fredendall

This page contains personal reflections by many early Bayshore residents.  This series of articles, "A Little Bit of History" was prepared by Larry Fredendall and was included in our Bayshore Newsletters during his time on our board of directors.  I am so grateful that Larry captured these bits of insight that would have otherwise been lost forever.  
Enjoy the read!

    Bob Darling and his wife Edna moved to Bayshore in 1972.  They remember a lot of construction throughout the sub-division at that time.  Bob and Edna were early retirees but many of the families moving in had several young children.  Since then some of these young children have grown, left and now are returning to buy homes with their own small children.  They have gone through a whole generation. 
   During the early 1980's, Bob remembers when a teenager regularly attended the board meetings to represent their needs.  In response to those needs the association installed the float dock at the beach and the basketball court at the park.   
   Jack Prescott wants to know if you remember when there was only one dock in the cove between Bayshore and what is now called Stonehaven.  That same cove now holds twenty-three docks!
Appeared in The Bayshore Newsletter, June 1997

    Frank and Myrtle Cholewinski moved to Bayshore in 1966 when there were 20 to 30 houses and the association was already formed.  Frank was president for two consecutive years 1968-70 and was one of the neighborhood leaders in developing the lakeside park and the tennis court park.  The tennis courts cost $700 to install at that time because both Oconee County and Bayshore Developer Rochester Real Estate donated some of the materials and labor.  Blue Ridge Electric Cooperative installed the telephone poles which form the baseball backstop for $44 each.  The fences were installed by the association members during a series of work parties.
   During Frank's tenure as president, the association obtained the first lease for the lakeside park from the US Corps of Engineers.  The Corps required a lease for the association to place a dock and  put in sand for a beach.  Originally there were more plots designated for recreation in Bayshore, but Rochester Real estate did not give the deed to the association.  When the association did not develop these plots, Rochester Real Estate changed their designation and sold the plots to homeowners.
   Frank and Myrtle raised their children in Bayshore and their daughter, Christine Murphy, with her husband Tim, has recently returned to Bayshore and they reside on Mount Vernon Drive.
Appeared in The Bayshore Newsletter, July 1997

   Al and Betty Newton were the first residents of Bayshore, moving into Bayshore August 1962 with their 18 month old daughter, Robin.

   Most of Bayshore was originally part of the Dyars' Plantation.  The lake park, which was scrub brush and small trees in '62 had been terraced by slaves for the purpose of farming cotton and the Dyars' home place was located where the tennis courts stand today.  When the tennis courts were constructed, the Bayshore Club had to fill in the Dyars' family well and refill the well for several years thereafter.  With the end of slavery, the Dyars rented or sharecropped the land along Longshore Avenue.  When Bayshore was originally laid out, Mr. Ward Stone owned the land along Longshore Avenue.  Mr. Rochester was able to buy part of this land from Stone, but the Stone estate still owns the lots at the end of Longshore, and the  Stone children are involved in the development of Stonehaven and Stillwater.

   In the original plans for Bayshore, it was to be featured as an equestrian estate (horseback riding), and  to this end Mr. Rochester purchased shacks and run down houses on N. Bayshore, tore down the dwellings and set aside land to provide for horseback riding.  Rochester did not pursue these plans when none of the families in Bayshore expressed interest in horseback riding.

   The Bayshore Club was formed in 1962 before the first house was finished by six property owners, and it was Mr. Rochester's desire that the club assume responsibility for all common properties.  Al and Betty Newton, Cliff and Lou Fain, and Larry and Lorna Rife are original members still residing in Bayshore.  In the original plat map of Section 1, Bayshore, the lake access road was the Newton's driveway.  When the Corps of Engineers disallowed this as an access road, Mr. Rochester sold Al the land his driveway is on now.  Mr. Rochester set aside two lots for the lake park and later, the land on Longshore where the ball field and tennis courts are now located.  Rochester leased the parks and other lands to the club however, when the Bayshore Association was formed (1972), he donated these lands to the Association.
Appeared in The Bayshore Newsletter, August 1997

   Larry and Lorna Rife built the fourth house in Bayshore on Arlington Street.  They were one of the founding members of the Bayshore Association.  Because their daughter karleen Rife Hendrix liked horses so much, they bought the Hamilton property on Woodbury Road around 1980, after Lawrence Hamilton died.  This property had not been purchased by Rochester Real Estate and even though it is surrounded by Bayshore property, it is not a part of Bayshore.  This gave the Rife's the opportunity to board a horse for their daughter.  The Rife's also bought property on Woodbury Road that is part of Bayshore so they could remain members of the Bayshore Association.

   Larry and his family consider Bayshore a great place to live.  They appreciate the way Rochester Real Estate left Bayshore natural instead of stripping it bare.  His only complaint over the years has been that the deer always eat his garden.

   Larry and Lorna's daughter Karleen and their grandson, Brent have lived with them since Karleen was injured in an automobile accident some years ago.
Appeared in another Bayshore Newsletter, August 1997

   Leila Coxe Walker who now lives on Rill Court, moved to Bayshore in August of 1969.  At that time there were about 26 houses in the Bayshore Subdivision.  They lived next to the Chowlinski's and their four children on North Bayshore Drive.  Since Leila had five children, that block was soon the children's center of the subdivision.  Leila's daughter, Karen Greene, now lives in Bayshore with her husband Ken and their children Blake and Sarah.  Karen wanted to move back to Bayshore because of her memories of it's safe atmosphere where children could play in the woods and on the beach.
   Leila remembers that when she and her family first moved to Bayshore, the Bayshore Association parties were much different.   For example, the Association always served barbeque pork at each party.  She remembers that for the 1969 Labor Day party the committee started roasting the pig the night before and all the men took turns cooking it for 2 hours throughout the night.  Another fond memory is Ted Wallenius dressing up each Christmas to play Santa Claus.  Association parties that involved all of the families and all of the children continued until the neighborhood grew much larger in the mid-70's.  At that same time, the children's involvement diminished as the children grew older and did not want to go to those "boring adult parties".
   Leila's daughter, Karen Greene remembers that at Halloween all the children's costumes were hand-made and because there were so few houses in Bayshore, each child would trick or treat to the houses twice!  Karen also remembers that the 4th of July picnic was an all day party with games and races during the day and fireworks that night.  Ted Wallenius is one of those who helped import the fireworks from Florida and set off the display.  Karen also remembers an Easter egg hunt in the park each Easter.
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, September 1997
   Jim and Betty Turner moved to Bayshore Subdivision in 1969 with their two children, Jimmy and Townsend.  They built their home on Longshore Avenue.  It was the first and only house between the steep curved entrance hill on Bayshore Drive and the lake on Longshore Avenue.  Betty remembers watching the children very closely when they were small for fear they would wander down to the lake.  Shortly after they moved in, they were visited by a welcoming committee from the then Bayshore Recreation Club.  They remember one of the visitors was Frank Cholewinski who still lives on North Bayshore Drive.  

   Originally their were few public services in the subdivision.  There was no guardrail on the steep curved entrance hill of Bayshore Drive.  In December of 1969 at about 1am four teenagers tested how fast they could take that curve and flipped their car.  The three survivors walked to the Turner's house for help, but it took 45 minutes for the ambulance to arrive.  It was not until a delegation of Bayshore residents (including Jim Turner and Dick Hansen) went to the Governors office that a guardrail and fire hydrant were installed.

   The Bayshore Association Inc. was incorporated on 7/28/1972 and Jim was very active in its formation.  Before incorporation, the Bayshore Recreation Club members all had joint, and unlimited liability.  By incorporating, the members no longer had to worry about individual liability for accidents.  Bayshore Association Inc. was formed to do much more than shield its members from liability and to be much more than a homeowner's  association.  It was formed as an eleemosynary(i.e. non-profit) organization to provide charitable services.  The definition of a charitable organization was that it lessens the burdens of government.

   The stated purpose of the Bayshore Association Inc. in the certificate of incorporation issued by the State of South Carolina was:  "…to lessen the burdens of government be attempting to alleviate community tensions, discrimination, deterioration, juvenile delinquency, and other community problems through education, counseling, social functions and community projects."  

   Bayshore Association Inc. received a temporary IRS tax exemption on 12/21/1972 and permanent IRS tax exemption two years later.  Shortly after receiving the permanent they received exemption from the State of South Carolina.  The tax exemptions were contingent upon the Bayshore Association, Inc. demonstrating that it operates so that it "…normally meet(s) the requirements of Section 170(b)(1)(A)(vi) thereafter."  The documents went on the state that: "Donors may deduct contributions to you as provided in Section 170 of the Code.  Request, legacies, devises, transfers, or gifts to you are for your use are deductible under Sections 2055, 2106, and 2522 of the Code."  Maintenance of this status requires that all reports be filed and that appropriate records be kept.

   Betty remembers that one of the first education projects that the association provided was swimming lessons down at the beach.  She does not remember who gave the lessons, but that they were popular with the children.  Another community project that Jim and Betty remember was the 4th of July picnics.  There would be games at the park all day long.  There were tennis contests, softball games, horseshoes, and golf chipping contests.  There were also poster contests and three-legged races before the picnic.

   Jim remembers that one reason that the early members of the Bayshore Association, Inc. had wanted exempt status was to encourage property donations.  It was after the incorporation that Mr. Rochester donated the land which is now the lakeside park and the land that is now the tennis court park.  Mr. Rochester had originally intended to build his own home on the land that is now the tennis court park, but changed his mind and donated it to the Bayshore Association, Inc.
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, Novenber1997

   Art and Mary Birchenough moved to Bayshore in 1974 with their daughter Mary Ann who enrolled in Seneca High School as a sophomore. Art retired early from General Motors and they moved from O'Leary, Ohio outside of  Cleveland to this area of South Carolina because they both wanted to be near a college town.  Art wanted to be able to play golf year round and Mary did not want to move to Florida because she wanted four seasons.  At that time, she remembers that there were about 100 houses in Bayshore.  A third of the homes were owned be retired couples, a third were owned be college professors, and the rest were owned by families working in other professions and industries.  They felt it was a great mix of people.

   During the last 24 years, most of the families that lived on Longshore Avenue and Shoreview Drive when the Birchenough's moved in had left, and the neighborhood has changed.  For example, when they first lived here a group of mothers would gather at the tennis courts every summer morning and take turns watching the children while the other mothers played tennis.  As the children grew older this gradually changed so that now she seldom sees anyone playing tennis.

   Mary feels each generation of families entering Bayshore has contributed to it. 
A couple of years after they moved in, her husband Art became president of the association and worked with the other members to have the guardrails and fire hydrants installed.

   When Mary and Art first moved into Bayshore, the association had a Christmas dinner party for the entire family.  It was held at Ravenel Elementary School and a Santa was hired to distribute presents to the children.  After awhile that was dropped because it was just too difficult.  She was glad to hear that a Halloween party was held for the children this year and she was sorry she was not home to see it.  Mary feels Bayshore was a great place for her daughter to grow up and it's a great place for her grandchildren to visit.  They love to come and play in the park, swim at the beach and explore the creek.

   Mary has one of the large, natural looking lots at the beginning of Longshore Avenue.  She works on her garden continuously, weather permitting.  She does take time off her gardening at home to work one morning a week at the South Carolina Botanical Gardens.  She is now waiting for her camellias to bloom.  While she has nice camellias, she feels they are not as gorgeous as Luther Baxter's camellias on North Bayshore Drive.
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, December1997

   Marcia and Ted Wallenius say, for many of us, the 70's were the golden years: children were allowed to run free playing in the yards, woods, and recreation areas with little or no supervision because there was no crime and everyone looked out for everyone else.  Here are some of our fond memories.

   Snowy days found the roads and driveways filled with makeshift sleds from inner tubes to plastic bags to cookie sheets.  Children squealed and dogs barked as we slid from home to home for popcorn at one, hot chocolate or chowder at another, home baked cookies or corn bread at still another.

   One spring we had a neighborhood yard sale at the lake.  It was a huge success, although most of us came home with more than we brought.  Children selling snacks were the ones who really made out.  Summer days were filled with sunning and swimming at the lake followed by spontaneous pot luck group suppers, guitars, harmonicas, singing and talking while the little ones played hide and seek.  Of course, the singing and talking went on all night when we barbequed the pig for the holiday picnics.

   In the early days, Bayshore had the only 4th of July fireworks show in the upstate. Ted had worked out a deal with the company that did the Tigerama fireworks display.  They bought our small assortment along with the Tigerama fireworks in October so we got a great deal.  We stored these fire hazards in our basement for 9 months!   Bill Barlage constructed 3 and 4 inch mortars out of scrap material and we had quite a 4th of July celebration!  Clemson changed contractors in the Bicentennial year of 1976.  Other arrangements were made but, on July 3rd, they fell through.  Not to be daunted, we found a manufacturer in Tennessee who had extra stock.  Ted and I drove to the fireworks factory and home with volatile missiles in the back of our old station wagon (no air conditioning) in the blazing July sun.  The car broke down somewhere in Georgia.  A backwoods mechanic fixed the car and we arrived home just in time for the picnic and fireworks show.  It was a glorious ending to a day filled with contests, music, fun, and food.

   Some of our fondest memories center around Bob and Teddy Cameron.  In case you don't know, Bob "procured" the 300lb stainless steel tank that has served as the Bayshore barbeque cooker for over 30 years.)  Bob and Teddy have earned the title "Bayshores most gracious host couple".  For example, one Sunday afternoon, Bob and Teddy hosted all the Bayshore children to a sit down gourmet dinner in their home.  No adults were invited.  It was a dress-up affair.  Children were seated at tables with crystal, china, silver, and linen tablecloths and napkins.  Background music accompanied the multi-course meal.  No one was allowed to help serve or clean up.  The children had never been treated so elegantly before (or since) and still request sparkling grape juice in goblets from time to time. 

   Bob and Teddy were magnets for excitement at Halloween as well.  Many children rode on hay in the back of trucks so they could go to both upper and lower Bayshore.  The Cameron house was always a "must".  Teddy always dressed up as the beautiful "Pumpkin Queen" who touched each child with her magic wand granting all wishes.  Bob would take their pictures and give scrumptious homemade treats.

   Caroling was common at Christmas time and sometimes Santa would show up at your door.  Bayshore residents donated food and clothing which was distributed to families in the area who were identified as most needy by our mailman of some 20 years, Mr. Lothar.  Incidentally, all the gifts he received along his route ended up in these same needy homes.

   New neighbors were welcomed with homemade or home grown goodies.  Tragedies were shared.  We feel that Bayshore was a "point of light" long before George Bush coined the concept.  It's wonderful to see people of all ages moving into Bayshore.  It's especially gratifying that Bayshore is drawing back the children that grew up here.  Laura Ihle Geram, Karen Cox Greene, Christine Cholewinski Murphy, and Doug Paul have all returned to raise their families in Bayshore.  It's a great neighborhood.  We must be doing something right!
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, February 1998

   Bill and Linda Barlage built a home at 4005 Woodbury (on the corner of Andover Way) in August 1965 when there were only about 20 houses in Bayshore.  Bill remembers the number of houses because he tried to have the Greenville News delivered to his house and, at that time, they would not deliver the paper to a subdivision with fewer than 25 houses in it.

   Bill and Linda bought their lot in Bayshore primarily because of their friendship with the Fains who were already living in Bayshore on the lake.  Before they moved to Bayshore, they had either commuted to work from Greenville to Clemson University 6 days a week or filled in faculty apartments.

   When Bill and Linda first moved to Bayshore it was more like being part of a family.  With so few houses, everyone knew everyone else in the neighborhood and most had children in the same age range.  The entire community looked forward to the 4th of July and Labor Day picnics.  Bill remembers one July when Ted Wallenius had him transport the 4th of July fireworks from Florida to South Carolina in his 1965 VW Squareback.  Bill worried the entire trip about what would happen if the fireworks went off.  Bill got the fireworks to Bayshore, then he found out they required mortars to set them off, so he found some scrap pipe in the chemical engineering department to manufacture the mortars.

   Bill and Linda raised two children in Bayshore - Sheryl and Bill.  Sheryl actually met her husband to be, Bob Pelligrino, at the Bayshore tennis courts.  At that time both Sheryl and Bob Pelligrino were students at Clemson University.  Bob Pelligrino had also grown up in Bayshore.  His father John Pelligrino did most of the design and much of the carpentry to erect the picnic shelter at the lakeside park.

   A big change that Bill and Linda have noticed is that they no longer have a good view of the lake.  When they first moved here all the trees were small.  Now the trees have matured so much that even in the winter they can barely see the lake from their house.
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, July 1998

   Jim and Flora Stone moved to Bayshore with their two children Chet and Holly in 1971.  They moved here from Charlotte, NC because Flora wanted to live in the Clemson area.  Jim's work selling aluminum extrusions required him to travel during the week, but they chose to live in Bayshore so they could enjoy the trees and the quiet lake atmosphere on the weekends.  In the early 70's when they moved here, there were only about 45 houses in Bayshore.  Approximately 15 of them worked for Clemson University, 15 were retired, and 15 were involved with various businesses.

   Jim and Flora built the first house on Longshore Avenue.  The were  3 houses on Gaspe' Boulevard then and the pine trees and hardwoods were already good sized.  Jim studied forestry in school and has always been interested in the health of trees.  He thought these pine trees were planted in 1960 or 1961 after the lake was made, because at that time the USDA would reimburse farmers for planting trees and putting their land into a soil bank.  During his time in Bayshore, Jim has seen many beetle infestations which have killed the weak trees and left the healthy trees to continue growing.  The beetle that does the damage is the size of the head of a pin.  It bores its way into a pine tree and if the tree is not healthy enough to eject it and repair the damage, other larger beetles and disease can take advantage of the opening and destroy the tree.  By the time the first tree is dying, the original beetle that began the damage has moved on to another tree.  But, pines are tough.  If the next tree the beetle chooses to attack is healthy, the tree will defend itself from the beetle and end the infestation. 

   Both of the Stone children went to school here and played with the neighborhood children in the parks.  The Stones never used the tennis courts since their children preferred water skiing, but they were active in many of the projects to improve the parks.  For example, Jim was involved in building the first dock at the lakeside park.  It was built before the lakeside shelter was constructed.  The dock was largely built with volunteer labor and lumber the Bayshore Association purchased.  There were so few families living in Bayshore and since the initiation fee then was only $50 with dues of $25 a year, there was not much money to spend.  With all the neighbors participating in the various projects a lot of camaraderie was formed.  Since Bayshore has grown so much larger Jim and Flora no longer know everyone in the neighborhood.  They are pleased that younger people are moving into Bayshore and that there are many children playing in the parks again.  This keeps it a livable, exciting neighborhood.  There are a lot of people moving in and out every year, which means that the property is both desirable and affordable.

   Flora was the first woman to serve on the Bayshore Association board in the mid-70's.  She served on the board when Jim Turner was the president.  This was the board that incorporated the Bayshore Association as a tax exempt organization.  It was due to this tax exempt status that Mr. Rochester deeded the Bayshore Association title to its current properties.  Prior to that time, the Bayshore Association was using these properties because of an informal understanding with Mr. Rochester.
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, September 1998

   Mrs. Campbell has moved from Bayshore to the Easley Presbyterian Home on 9/11/98.  She has the apartment across the hall for Bob and Edna Darling.  She moved to Bayshore 31 years ago, in 1967 shortly before her husband retired form Clemson University.  They moved to Bayshore because her husband loved the water and had always wanted a place on the beach.. Over the years, their grandchildren came to visit frequently and would always go boating or fishing off of the dock. 

   There were very few houses when they built their house on Gaspe' Boulevard.  Over the years the rapid growth of Bayshore and the generosity of Mr. Rochester, the original developer of the subdivision, impressed her.  Mr. Rochester gave the Bayshore Association the tennis court and lakeside parks.

   Mrs. Campbell said she has very fond memories of living in Bayshore.  She enjoyed her time here very much.  It is a beautiful area with nice people who she enjoyed meeting.  She always had good neighbors.  Years ago she would walk along the roads each morning, starting by walking around the Gaspe' median and then possibly walking to the lake front or up the hill and back.  She found the pleasantness of the surroundings always soothing.

   Despite leaving her Bayshore home of 31 years, she is not homesick.  She has been planning this move for years.  She is now 87 years old and moving has allowed her to remain independent.  Her new apartment is lovely and she has great neighbors there also.  She would like to have all of her old Bayshore friends call or come to visit.  Her address and phone number are:
Apt. E107, Box 51
1855 Crestview Rd.
Easley, SC 29642

   Also, Bob and Edna Darling, who have been active members of the Bayshore Association for 26 years moved from the house they built in 1972 on Greenwich.  They moved to the Presbyterian home in Easley.  Bob said he wanted everybody to know that they are still independent and they are not inmates at the home.  They can come and go as they want.  They intend to spend several months in Florida this winter just as they have done for years.

   Moving to the Presbyterian home has been a major adjustment for Bob and Edna.  The apartment is much smaller than their house was.  But, they now have no pressure of home maintenance.  In addition, the food in the home cafeteria is outstanding.  The staff are very friendly and he has terrific neighbors.  They are still in touch with many of their old neighbors in Bayshore.  For example, Ron and Jill Cross who used to live across from them just called to tell Bob and Edna about their own move to Ohio where they are now preparing for miserable weather.

   Bob spent years in Bayshore as the one man welcoming committee.  He started doing this the year Jim Tremon was the Bayshore Association president.  Everyone learned that he was the Welcome Wagon Man, so whenever anyone moved to Bayshore Bob would receive a call and he would arrange to visit the newcomer and provide any information they needed to familiarize themselves with the neighborhood. He did this so well that the Bayshore Association Board has decided that it will take an entire committee to replace him.

   Bob and Edna moved here in 1972 from Washington D. C., because Edna's family was from Greenwood, SC.  Their fondest memories of Bayshore are the wonderful people they met and the natural beauty.  The house that they built was isolated in the woods on top of a ridge, but their windows allowed a clear view of the lake.  Bob loved walking around the neighborhood and enjoyed watching the deer even when they ate his garden.  One of the reasons they bought a lot in Bayshore was the association activities.  They felt that a group that got together four times a year for parties would take care of their neighborhood and their property would retain its value.  An added bonus was the sense of solitude while having neighbors nearby.
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, October 1998
   Cliff and Lou Fain were one of the first to purchase property in Bayshore.  When they bought their land in 1962, Bayshore had no paved roads and Lake Hartwell had not yet filled up.  Cliff and Lou built their home and moved in during 1963.  They remember it was a difficult year to build because there was a lot of rain, but the advantage was that the lake filled up quickly(in less than one year).

   Before they could build on their lot they had to fill several ravines.  While they were cleaning out these ravines they found parts of an old abandoned stage coach.  They learned that the old stage coach road had at one time run through their property over to the Indian burial ground.  At the time they were building their house, part of the old plantation house was still standing where the tennis courts are now.  When they bought their property, it had turn plow terraces going down the hill to the river.  These terraces can still be seen on the Fain's Property.     

   Cliff and Lou have enjoyed living in Bayshore, and believe that it was a great place to raise their daughter Tish.  Tish enjoyed practicing her water skiing on the lake in front of their home.  They even set up a slalom course for her.  Tish became so skilled in three skiing events(slalom, tricks, and jump) that she became the U.S. National Water Ski Champion for 8 consecutive years and represented the United States abroad.
   Another memory that Lou has about the early years is that there were no private phone lines in Bayshore.  The best phone service the phone company offered to Bayshore residents was a 3 party line.  Sometimes it took time to make a phone call; you had to wait until your neighbor was trough talking before you could dial out.
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, December, 1998
   Jim and Shirley Tremon moved to Bayshore in 1978 when Jim was transferred to the area by J. P. Stevens.  The Bayshore subdivision interested them because they had friends who lived here and they wanted lake access without having to own waterfront property.  Although both of their children were grown when they moved here, their daughter Jan moved back in with them for five years and started a dance studio in Seneca.  In addition to her dance studio, Jan taught dance classes at Ravenel Elementary as part of Cathy Watson's learning through the arts program.

   Jim and Shirley lived here during the period of great changes in Bayshore.  When they first moved into the neighborhood there were very few small children.  They were happy to see this change with Roger and Wendy Ross moving into Bayshore with their children and then the gradual growth in the number of families with small children.
   Jim was president of the Bayshore Association for two years during the early 1980's.  Jim and Shirley are also remembered by many of us for their years of effort taking care of and improving the lakeside park.  Jim usually cut the park lawn several days before the work parties came to clean and improve the park, so that the Saturday work crew could focus on other types of needed Maintenance.  Jim also kept an eye on the park, making sure that the gate was locked and that reserved parties did not get out of hand.

   This year, Jim and Shirley moved from Bayshore to their hometown of Gordon, GA so they could be closer to their family.  Both Him and Shirley grew up within a few miles of their current house.  In September, they will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary in the same church in which they were married, just down the street from where they live now.

   Jim and Shirley are both in good health.  Jim has recovered from most of his complications with diabetes, including the amputation of his toe in February 1998.
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, February, 1999

   On Saturday, February 27th a crowd of Bayshore Association members worked to improve the tennis court park - the old site of the Dyer Plantation House.  This work party was well organized by John Ryan.  However, one puzzle the Ryan's never did answer is, how they managed to unload all of the Leland Cypress trees by themselves the night before?

   The crowd was divided into groups. One particularly chipper group cut down the remaining red tips and turned them into mulch.  They were so excited that they could be heard all over Bayshore for hours.  This crowd of "mulchers" included Rick Bowser, Marvin Carmichael, Dennis Dale, Heyward Douglass, Bud Field, Nelson Gardner, Jim Hendricks, Doug Hirt, Al Littlejohn, Benjie McGill, Al Nardone, Jack Prescott, and Norm Sievert.  Warren Carpenter and Ken Greene (with his dog Maggie) worked ahead of the mulchers cutting the red tips down to size.  One enjoyable moment occurred when they trimmed up the cedar; the sweet smell filled the air.

   The "green" group planted Leland Cypress and Crepe Myrtle trees to replace the red tips around the tennis courts and spread the newly created mulch over the stumps of the red tips. This group was led by Jane Nozell, who created an aesthetically pleasing design that allowed the trees to be planted where the diggers would not have to dig through too many roots.  One of the first holes seemed to by right on the foundation of the old Dyer house.  Every shovel full seemed to bring up one more foundation stone.  Besides Jane Nozell, the "green" group included Larry Fredendall, Charlotte Hirt, Otto Kohler, Gordon Lewis, John Ryan, Deb Ryan (with her new planting knife), Roger Silver and Donnie White.   One new resident of Bayshore was there with his son helping to plant trees, but because of all the noise the mulchers were making, we could only here his first name which was Bob.

   Even though everyone was asked to bring a brown bag lunch with them, Kathy Gardener took pity and made about two dozen sandwiches.  She and Ken Greene also brought a supply of cold water.  They were great sandwiches and delicious water.
   There were many children who contributed in many ways.  Cooper Littlejohn was one of the most energetic, helping to move mulch from piles to the tennis court fence.  Joe Fredendall, Albert Nardone, Alexa Nardone, Molly Ryan, and Drayson Silver contributed their time and occasionally focused their energy to help.  They were assisted or supervised in part be a crowd of organizers that included Konnie Aplin, Chris Hendricks, and Laura Nardone.

   After a hard morning of cutting and planting the crowd was not through yet.  John and Deb Ryan had arranged for 4 tons of river stone to be delivered for spreading around the playground equipment.  The "hard rock" group first spread out the existing gravel and then spread the newly delivered 4 tons.  This group included Rick Bowser, Larry Fredendall, Ken Greene, Otto Kohler, Jack C. Prescott (who donated cokes and beer to the effort), John Ryan, Deb Ryan, Roger Silver, and Donnie White.  But, that wasn't enough work for Otto Kohler and Ken Greene who started digging holes around the park and finally found the pipe to the water fountain and started the effort of repairing the fountain and installing some nozzles for hoses. 
Appeared in the Bayshore Newsletter, April, 1999